2.23.2010

All the wrong fit

One stressful occurrence comes all alone and easy to handle. Then another. Soon, one after many, dozens of them not fitting your life the way you want it. Piling up faster and faster, you're begging for the right piece to fall into place for your life to carry on and it either doesn't come or the opportunity for it to do its part passes...

Sounds like a game of Tetris, doesn’t it?

In this piece I wanted to depict the emotion of stress. The black and white background serves to show the dark, mostly foreboding blocks descending from the Tetris Gods. I tried to stack the blocks in the top left corner as if to show the incoming and foreseeable future one might see under stress. In attempt to balance the composition, I placed this deformed circle/egg-like shape in the opposite corner. As each subsequent block comes into connects with this shape, cracks start to form.

I tried to keep the piece as simple as possible. Also, I couldn't shake the theme out of my head. Are there any other games out there as memorable and stressful as Tetris?


4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of Tetris you used to emote stress. I think it was incredibly clever! You got the shapes perfect and having them coming crashing down onto the cracking shape in the bottom corner is a powerful image. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Erin about the use of tetris to express the idea of stress. It could be my screen, but the colors seem dark, making the image hard to see. Otherwise, I enjoy the composition and use of a popular reference for an abstract idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the concept! I especially think the cracked egg is a neat addition. However, the empty space near the middle (in between the green cube, the light blue line, the dark blue zigzag and the red L) is kind of bothering me. It feels there is something missing there.

    Otherwise great job! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice concept--although I agree that there's too much dark in the piece. Contrast in and of itself can create stress. The egg also looks cartoonish and actually kind of out of place somehow--perhaps if it were a flat surface instead? I'm left puzzling as to why Tetris blocks are stacking on top of this wobbly cracking green thing. (Maybe it's the fact that everything else is a series of straight lines and this is a nice smooth curve, it seems very out of place and was the first thing that jumped at me.)

    Again I definitely like the concept, and with a few tweaks it could be a masterpiece BWAHAHAHA! Err...yeah.

    Tetris for the win.

    ReplyDelete